This is a page within the Staffordshire Home Guard website. To see the entire site contents, please go to SITE MAP.


treat their grenades with the same assurance and confidence that they would show when using their rifle. I would like to mention here the valuable help given by Sgt.-Major Nutting D.C.M., of "G" Company. Nutting was with me at all "live" grenade practices and he was responsible for the priming bay.

The next type of bomb to arrive was the No. 73 grenade. In appearance this resembled a thermos flask, was unwieldy and difficult to throw. It contained  T.N.T. and, unlike the Mills, relied entirely on "blast" for its effect. This type was afterwards withdrawn.

The C.O. and I took some of these grenades to our range one winter's evening. They were duly detonated and thrown. The first two exploded with what seemed to be comparatively, a terrific blasting effect. Unfortunately the third lodged in a small bush at the bottom of the marl pit. We could not get a demolition set anywhere near it and the only solution seemed to be to shoot at it with a rifle from a convenient distance. It was now rapidly getting dark and by the time the rifle and ammunition arrived from B.H.Q. it was difficult to see the grenade. Owing to the bad light the first two shots missed and the grenade was then covered with a white handkerchief, and this time no mistake was made. The explosion caused the marl dust to be scattered for a radius of many yards and the Colonel and I were both smothered in dust.





Boxes of grenades No. 36, No. 68 and No. 73 were rapidly arriving at B.H.Q. These were distributed to Company H.Q's. by the courtesy of Major Goode, who loaned us the Streetly Works lorry.

There were two other officers associated with weapons training, viz. Bond, who was the machine-gun specialist, and Sheldon, the Musketry Officer, both of whom took an active part in the training.

I was now transferred to "G" Coy. as O.C., and an interval of some weeks followed during which period B.H.Q. was minus a W.T.O. We were, however, favoured by fortune, for Lieut. (now Major) O. H. Hodgkin was transferred to us from the 24th (Tettenhall) Bn. Hodgkin had enormous resources both in size and energy. He was appointed Weapons Training Officer and immediately entered into the work with surprising vigour. The accumulation of bombs and grenades in the cellar were conveyed to the various companies. This presented difficulties for at that time we were without any official transport and it was surprising what qualms some officers had about conveying explosives in their cars.

There now started an ever-increasing flow of grenades and weapons, including the first spigot mortars - minus (of course) training pamphlets, tools and ammunition - which led to the long history of "changes in drill" on the Blacker usually terminating in sharp and sometimes adverse reports from Burnhill Green.