(Warwick) Battalion, Home Guard whose area of responsibility
was the county town of Warwick was a large Battalion.
Its list of officers as at 1st February 1941 contained
the names of 105 men, considerably above the average
number for such units. It was commanded by
Col. J.H. Alexander, DSO, MC (late Lt.
Col., Royal Engineers). Within this list of officers'
names there appears that of Lt. C. Fullerton. We
are indebted to Lt. Fullerton's son, Andrew Fullerton,
for the information contained within this page.
- sometimes known to friends as Pat
Fullerton because of his Irish birth
- lived in Leamington Spa between 1932 and 1944.
He worked from the Warwick office of
Balfour Beatty as a Construction Superintendent of 132kv overhead
power lines for the Central Electricity Board, a
30 MW extension to Avon Power Station and general
construction work for Power Companies. This work
was clearly essential to the war effort and this
thwarted him in his desire to join the Royal Naval
Volunteer Reserve or the Royal Engineers. Instead
he enlisted in the Warwickshire Home Guard and in
addition to that he volunteered as an ambulance
driver for the Red Cross - although quite how he
fitted those duties in alongside his HG activities
and his day job of responsibility for maintaining
power lines in that part of the Midlands beggars
The following image
dates from May 1943. It is almost certainly that
of Lt. Fullerton's platoon, No. 7 and part of one
of the Battalion's several Companies. Lt. Fullerton
is shown seated exactly in the middle of the front
row and is fairly clearly in command.
on the picture to see a larger, higher definition
(Click on image for higher definition
cap badge and pips - he was presumably promoted
to Captain in the course of his service - survive
within his family
Also surviving is a double sided leaflet dated April
1943 and issued to "7 Pltn., Lt. Fullerton".
This leaflet, presumably issued to
throughout the country and dealing with First Aid
in the field, has an interesting family connection.
Lt. Fullerton's father, an earlier Andrew Fullerton,
was Professor of Surgery at
Belfast and had served in the Great War as a colonel
in the Royal Medical Corps, being honoured with
the CB and the CMG. One of the pupils at Belfast,
Mr Charles Keogh, FRCS, had became a close friend
of Cecil Fullerton and was also contributor to the
leaflet whose guidance his tutor's son - and no
doubt many thousands of Home Guards like him - would
carefully note and store away in the hope that it
would never be needed. Acknowledgement to him by
the War Office is made on the front page of the
pamphlet (right) .
(To view the complete pamphlet,
please click on the image).