The British Pathe website contains some 3500
items from the Pathe Gazette which contains film shot between
1896 and 1970 and shown in British cinemas for much of that
time. It includes at least 6 sequences about the Home Guard,
each lasting between two and four minutes. Use the search
function to see what is available. Use ....LDV... (rather
than "Home Guard") to get some quick results.
The way of obtaining and using the site's
material is not immediately obvious and needs a bit of effort
to grasp. If you haven't the patience to work it out for
yourself and only want a quick and easy view for personal
use, here is a guide:
1. You can immediately look at "Stills"
but any "Video File" - i.e. a sequence of film
- you want to see, you have to "order"
2. To order, you need to register (but no credit card details
3. You can then order the download of the specific files
you have selected
4. The files come in different forms and for different purposes
5. Files of lower definition are "Preview Files".
This is the default type when ordering
6. Preview Files are free-of-charge and you are (probably)
a Non-Professional user
7. Your order for Preview Files will therefore be a nil-cost
8. When you confirm your order, make sure that zero cost
9. The file will then be downloaded.
10. You will also get an email with a temporary link back
to the same file
11. You can of course purchase higher definition files at
12. Subsequent use (e.g. reproduction or transmission) of
the files is subject to many restrictions and you will need
to look at the detailed Terms and Conditions
Despite all the above - which is easy enough
when you have worked out how - the films are worth the effort!
Go direct to the British